Sunday, September 10, 2017

Review: Paige's Turn by Jennifer Peel

One of my reading friends, who rarely steers me wrong with with book recommendations (or advice about life), recommended Paige's Turn by Jennifer Peel. Once again, she was right. 


About the Book

With the encouragement of her beloved Aunt Mitzi, plain and overlooked Paige James left her hometown of Bella Port ten years ago and never looked back. But free-spirited Aunt Mitzi had plans for Paige to stop being pushed into the background. Those plans included leaving Paige as sole heir to her fortune and owner of her bookstore, Paige's Turn. Begrudgingly, Paige returns home to fulfill her aunt's last wishes, no longer the girl who'd left in baggy jeans and an ill-fitting t-shirt.

Paige discovers, though, that Mitzi's last wishes include a lot of meddling in her love life. From the grave, and with the help of some friends, Mitzi has set out to make sure Paige and Bella Port's most eligible bachelor, Sam Kennedy, find true love together. What Mitzi didn't foresee is the firestorm and gossip she created that paints Paige as a swindler and liar, leaving Sam to wonder about the grown woman Paige has become. It doesn't help when Paige fires him after their first meeting. But as friendship blossoms between Paige and Sam, they find each other hard to resist.

Was Mitzi right about the two of them? Will Paige finally have her turn?

My Thoughts

I enjoyed this book. I related to the main character, Paige, as soon as I found out about her struggles with being single. Paige's Aunt Mitzi, to whom she's always been close, leaves Paige a large inheritance which includes a bookstore, cleverly named "Paige's Turn" which forces Paige to move back to the town where she grew up. 

Aunt Mitzi has given Paige encouragement and advice throughout her life. Aunt Mitzi knew she was dying, but rather than tell Paige, she wrote lots of notes with advice for Paige and left them in various places for Paige to find after Aunt Mitzi was gone. The theme to these notes seems to be that Paige is supposed to end up with Sam, who Paige knew from her youth as her older brother's best friend. 

Paige laments frequently that Aunt Mitzi has never steered her wrong, but she thinks her aunt just might be wrong about Sam. Paige and Sam get off on the wrong foot when Paige's family, upset that Paige is the sole heir to Mitzi's fortune, spreads rumors in the community about Paige and Sam initially believes the rumors. Sam also has a girlfriend which adds to Paige's suspicions that Aunt Mitzi is wrong about the two of them being a match. 

The notes left by Aunt Mitzi for Paige throughout this story was a unique idea and I enjoyed that aspect. 

There was a scene in the book where Paige thought she was boring, but then realized that no matter what you are interested in or enjoy spending time doing, the right person won't think you are boring. That resonated with me! I'm a homebody and one of my favorite hobbies is reading Christian romance novels. (I'm happiest curled up under a blanket on any given Friday night with a book in hand.) Some people might think that's a little boring. My husband actually finds it intriguing that I like to read so much and doesn't mind at all that I like to stay home. I just had to find the right person! 

I liked the entire book, but I didn't want to stop reading during the second half. I felt like there was excitement building around Paige and Sam's relationship and I wanted to see what would happen. I also really enjoyed the reconciliation between Paige and her sister.

If you like contemporary, clean romance, I think you will like Paige's Turn.

I borrowed this book from a friend. All thoughts and opinions are my own.


What book has a friend recommended to you that you've enjoyed?






No comments:

Post a Comment